Wednesday, September 1, 2021

PHILIPPIANS 4:6-8, When peace and joy made me guilty




Philippians 4:6-8

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.

Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.

His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.

Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.

Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.


There is so much to fear about out there, so much going on that takes away our joy and peace.
The ongoing wars, calamities, famines, and of course the Covid 19 pandemic and its never-ending variants.

Sometimes, I personally feel that happiness and peace should not be an option because of the problems and destructions going on around.

It seems I am being selfish enjoying this season of my life because of the sufferings and hardships I'm seeing and hearing about - one of these is the Afghan war and the continuous spreading of Covid 19 in our country affecting many people's health, work, and income.

But is it right to be guilty of having joy and peace in such time as this?

I was rebuked by this verse from Philippians being reminded that the guilt I'm feeling is not from the Lord.
In fact, Paul encourages us to be joyful.
Not to worry but pray and think of whatever is praiseworthy.

Do I fear?

- Yes, we are having a baby and I still have no vaccine.

- I fear every time I went to our checkups and whenever my husband goes outside to do some errands.

- I fear whenever my parents and siblings got a cough or cold.

- I fear bad news.


Do I feel sad?

- My heart is broken for the Afghan people.

- I feel sad whenever I received a prayer request about healing and recovery from my friends - even about deaths.

- I feel sad that our families and friends are not witnessing how my baby bump grows.

- I feel sad that I can't see my family and celebrate my upcoming birthday with them.


Am I still happy?

- Yes, because I'm excited for our baby and this season is new for me.

- I'm enjoying being taking care of my husband.

- I enjoy the baby's every movement in my tummy. 

- I love it when my husband also feel and see the baby's movement.

- Seeing our baby's ultrasound makes me happy.

- and I love hearing our Baby's heartbeat.


Am I at peace?

- Sometimes I am not but most of the time yes.

God has comforted and still encouraging me with His words.

I need to be reminded daily and have to feed myself with God's truth and love for me to be at peace.


These verses helped me a lot whenever I don't feel okay,  whenever trouble starting to fill me up, and whenever bad news is robbing me of my peace.


1. Psalm 112:7

They do not fear bad news;

they confidently trust the LORD to care for them.

(Because as I said, I fear bad news, can we just all have good news?)


2. Psalm 121:6-8

The sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night.

The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life.

The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.

(As I fear going outside for myself, my husband, and our families)


3. Proverbs 10:24

The fears of the wicked will be fulfilled;

the hopes of the godly will.be granted.


4. Proverbs 10:28

The hopes of the godly results in happiness, but the expectations of the wicked come to nothing.

(Am I wicked? why would "fear" dominate my thoughts? Jesus said worries dominate the thoughts of unbelievers.)


5. Proverbs 31:25

She laughs without fear of the future.

(Laugh and be happy. Enjoy the moment. Joyful are those whose hopes are in the Lord.)


I am not okay all the time.

I think a lot - I overthink a lot.

And the truth is all people will not always be okay and it's okay.

Because it's an opportunity for Jesus - to be seen, to be heard, and to be felt.


Sorrows, pain, tears, sicknesses, wars - and anything negative we could think of is a product of sin.

Anything that hurts us is a part of this imperfect world.

That's why Jesus said that in the new heaven and new earth there will be no more tears - nothing could hurt us anymore.


Revelations 21:4

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.

 

We shouldn't be surprised if we feel afraid, sad, or worried at times - If we feel trouble or if we wanna cry.

But we shouldn't also feel guilty if we feel joyful and peaceful at times - It means Jesus has taken over our minds and filled our hearts with hopes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

@calligrafreeze

Follow Me

My Instagram